I know the rules: finished project first. I wanted something that was Mid-Century Modern but I was on a budget so this is what I did.
Pretty easy project. Three Ikea Kallax units (2×2, 4×1, and 4×2). All of them put together with the Carl 120 legs from prettypegs.com in the walnut finish. 14 legs in total.
As you can see I’ve added some of the Kallax doors and drawers. For me, this was the most annoying part of the whole project.
More doors and drawers. As the packing boxes indicate, I just moved to a new apartment. This media cabinet is critical for my storage needs.
I bought a tv! It’s a 55” LG if anyone is curious. Also bought a PS4 for gaming and as a Blu-ray/dvd player. This is the first time I’ve had a TV in ten years (not homeless, I just watched everything on my desktop computer).
Okay here’s where the fun begins! I bought two 2’x8’ sheets of PSA backed walnut veneer on Amazon.com. I bought a 2’x2’ piece of MDF (At Home Depot) as a cutting surface. Sorry that I don’t have any pictures of the process but I just used the door or drawer front as a guide for cutting the veneer (cutting a piece a little bit bigger than the door or drawer front) with a box cutter. Then I removed the paper backing on the veneer (exposing the sticky side). Laid the veneer piece sticky side up and placed the door or drawer front of top of it and pressed down. Then I turned it over and used my hands to get rid of any air bubbles (rarely had any). Then I flipped it back over and used the box cutter to cut the veneer flush with edge. When going against the grain, I would make several passes so I didn’t split the wood. I love how I was able to get the grain to match across the doors and drawers.
Repeat for all doors and drawers. It’s not really visible in any of the pictures but I also installed a 2” desk grommet by drilling a 2” hole in the tv stand top. Desk grommet cost $3. Specialized drill bit cost $15. All for the glory of pretty wire management!
Last but not least, finish the wood with some kind of polyurethane or wood finish. I used Watco Danish Oil Now a smart person would have finished the veneer before putting the doors and drawer fronts on the Ikea units but I didn’t want to take the doors and drawers apart again. So I just wiped the Danish Oil onto the veneer with an old T-shirt. I only removed the little knobs while I was wiping the oil onto the fronts then I screwed them back on (leaving them loose for airflow) so I could still open the doors and drawers. FYI, the Danish Oil stunk up my apartment for more than a week. Even with leaving the windows open as much as I could. Maybe a water-based finish would have been smarter. Still, I absolutely love my finished object!
Bonus picture of the other cabinet I did. Boy, I really need the storage!